BIN: In the wake of one of their planes being shot down by Syrian missiles during an Israeli airstrike, Russia announced that within the next two weeks, they will be supplying Syria with the advanced S-300 missile defense system. The presence of the Russian missiles will seriously curtail Israel’s ability to cope with the Iranian military presence along their northern border and raises tensions in the region several notches.
A previous commitment by Russia to provide Syria with the S-300 system in 2013 was cancelled after a request from Israel and several of its Western allies. Earlier this week, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu explained the turnaround in decision.
“Now, the situation has changed,” Shoigu said to the media. “And it’s not our fault.” more …
Opinion: So why is Russia in Syria, aside from the 2500 year old prophecy that says Russia will one day lead an alliance of nations to attack Israel from the mountains?
Russia saw a strategic opening to get a naval port on the Med:
- A US president apologizing for America to Islam
- The 2011 Arab Spring causing turmoil in Syria
- The 2013 Obama Red Line giving Putin control of Syria’s chemical weapons
So far it appears that Russia/Israel relations are in grave danger over the downed Russian jet adding to Putin’s motive for a future attack on the Jewish state.
Back to the 2500 year old prophecy.
The prophet Ezekiel 38 not only saw the motive for Russia’s attack but he named every nation that would align with Russia, how Israel would be living in peace before the attack, how no nation would come to Israel’s side, and how God Himself would defeat the nations.
In Ezekiel 39 we learn the outcome for the invading armies, how the dead would be buried, that Israel will return to covenant relationship with God and a promise for them to stay in the covenant land forever.
God will use this war in miraculous ways:
- Ezekiel 38:23 To magnify Himself to the nations, that they will know the Lord
- Ezekiel 39:7 To make His name known ‘in the midst’ of His people’ Israel
- Ezekiel 39:11 To bury Gog and his attackers in the land of Israel and cleanse the land
- Ezekiel 39:21 To set His glory among the nations so that all will see His judgment on His people
- Ezekiel 39:22 So the house of Israel shall know the Lord their God from that day forward
- Ezekiel 39:28 So Israel will know that the Lord their God sent them into captivity but brought them back from the land leaving none behind.
For more on “Wars of the Last Days” see our e-book Blood Feud chapter 7 here