BIN: In the wake of Israeli airstrikes targeting Iranian military sites in Syria, Russia released what seemed to be conflicting statements; decrying “arbitrary Israeli airstrikes” on one hand while at the same time claiming they were deeply concerned about “ensuring a very strong security of the State of Israel.” With a major military presence in Syria, it is essential to understand Russia’s intentions for the region.
Russia’s role takes on apocalyptic implications when considering verses that identify the pre-Messiah War of Gog and Magog which, according to the prophet Ezekiel, will be a war against Israel fought by a multi-nation coalition led by a nation from the north.
Therefore prophesy, O mortal, and say to Gog: Thus said Hashem: Surely, on that day, when My people Yisrael are living secure, you will take note, and you will come from your home in the farthest north, you and many peoples with you—all of them mounted on horses, a vast horde, a mighty army. Ezekiel 38: 14-15
Opinion: Russia has a strategic reason for attacking Israel and it is called the EastMed pipeline.
On December 20th, 2018, the Prime Ministers of Cyprus, Greece and Israel converged on the southern Israeli city of Beersheba. All three parties publicly committed to signing a high-level agreement in the near future. Such an agreement would solidify one of the longest and deepest underwater gas pipeline in the world.
It is expected to deliver approximately 10 billion cubic meters (BCM) of natural gas to the European Union (EU) through Greece and Italy. The EU is keen to support the project and diversify its natural gas imports away from the heavily sanctioned Russian Federation and declining North Sea gas production. (source)
Uh oh. Russia, you see, is a bankrupt state only held together by the sale of vodka and oil and gas to Europe. Leave Russia with only vodka for sale and Russia’s economy hits a wall.
Ezekiel 38:1-6 not only names the nations in the Russian-led alliance, but uses a hooks in the jaw metaphor that shows Russia and its allies have no choice but to attack.
The motive for war:
- Ezekiel 38:8 The war takes place in the latter days. Israel will have been victorious in a major war and living in peace
- Ezekiel 38:11 The war will be over Israel’s great wealth
- Ezekiel 38:13 None of Israel’s allies come to her side
- Ezekiel 38:18-21 God intervenes and provides the victory
God will use this war in miraculous ways:
- Ezekiel 38:23 To magnify Himself to the nations, that they will know the Lord
- Ezekiel 39:7 To make His name known ‘in the midst’ of His people’ Israel
- Ezekiel 39:11 To bury Gog and his attackers in the land of Israel and cleanse the land
- Ezekiel 39:21 To set His glory among the nations so that all will see His judgment on His people
- Ezekiel 39:22 So the house of Israel shall know the Lord their God from that day forward
- Ezekiel 39:28 So Israel will know that the Lord their God sent them into captivity but brought them back from the land leaving none behind.
See more on teh Gog and Magog war in Bible Prophecy 101 here